Friday, November 19, 2010

Day Zero (Friday 19 November)


Tomorrow at 4am it all starts, my 2010 White Ribbon Ride. I will ride from Napier to Tauranga to be part of the first gathering starting at 8am and then we will ride to Rotorua at 10am.

It has taken awhile to get here. I have been heavily involved in the organising of the Hawke's Bay leg. I have also had some articles in the newspapers, radio interviews, there are adds that will go in and more publicity. But it's been rewarding and all 5 HB stop-overs have top co-ordinators that have done the majority of the work. So my job has been a sort of "pull it all together" and also the liasion with Families Commission and their White Ribbon staff. I have mainly been in contact with Vanessa who always has answered my questions very promptly. There was also a bunch of resources that we got! With my first ride now only 5 1/2 hours away there is nothing more I can do but just what I was always meaning to: Ride!

I am looking forward to catching up with the Super Maori Fullas again and travelling the Nort Island for over a week spreading the White Ribbon message re stopping the violence against our women.

My plan is to update this every evening after all riding and the activities are done. I hope to have some pictures added here too each day. Maybe even a video or two. But that might be asking too much. We will see.

The promise is of rain for the next 3 days. Brilliant... I have had sooo enough of riding in rain this winter and was hoping that the summer was going to be different... Ah well. Can't have everything.

I washed my BMW K1 yesterday and she is looking good. She has also had an oilchange and a once over and all seems sweet. Today was a mad day at work trying to cram in as much of "must do" things before I be away for a week. But with todays technology I can work in the evenings and keep in contact. And really, I have no illusion that I am THAT important...

Still some last minute packing and sorting to do. Then a couple of hours close eye and away. Will update tomorrow evening from the first day of riding. Until then: stay safe!

Here Saturday 20 November's schedule:
Travel Time
Distance Departing Arriving
0710 > 0730 25km Pacific Park Christian Holiday Camp 1110 Papamoa Beach Road, Papamoa Beach, 07 542 0018 Council Carpark, cnr Spring & Durham Sts, Tauranga (gathering point for riders)
0745 > 0755 5km Cnr Spring & Durham Sts, Tauranga Breakfast Launch in Tauranga, Greerton Community Hall, Cameron Rd, Greerton, Tauranga
1000 > 1105 62km Greerton Community Hall, Cameron Rd, Greerton, Tauranga Event at Craft Market, Kuirau Park, Rotorua (Craft Market)
1245 > 1345 63km Kuirau Park, Rotorua Event at Youth Park, Roslyn St, Tokoroa
1515 > 1615 66km Youth Park, Roslyn St, Tokoroa Event at Netcor, Wairakei Terraces & Visitor Center, Wairakei
1930 > 2000 40km Netcor, Taupo Accommodation at Lake Taupo Christian Camp, 100 Rawhira Rd, Turangi, 07 386 7967


For those who want to know more re all this, please go to: http://www.whiteribbon.org.nz/  where you can find out re the travel plans, other White Ribbon activities, what happens in your neighbour hood etc.

Here Greg (who will join the ride on Sunday) and I:

3 comments:

  1. Du e bara bäst på att fixa :) ha en skön tur och kör försiktigt, ser fram emot en massa bilder :) Kramar Pernilla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Pete, looking forward to hearing all the antics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bikers are real gentlemen who never raises his hand against a woman.

    You are the best!

    Respect!

    Go Pete!

    Greetings from Sweden!

    //Eva Bowerstone

    ReplyDelete