Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day Six (Thursday 25 November)



This is the "real" White Ribbon Day. We will be in Thames and then in Auckland.

Travel Time
Distance Departing Arriving
0645 > 0845 132km Pacific Park Christian Holiday Camp 1110 Papamoa Beach Road, Papamoa Beach, 07 542 0018 Rider meeting point at Kopu Station Hotel, 1 Kopu Road, Kopu, Thames, to travel to event at Danby Field
1025 > 1130 82km Danby Field, Queen St, Thames Rider meeting and briefing point, Bombay Motorway Service Centre
1145 > 1205 14km Bombay Motorway Service Centre Event at Westfield Manukau Shopping Centre, Great South and Wiri Station Roads, Manukau
1430 > 1510 33km Westfield Manukau Shopping Centre, Great South and Wiri Station Roads, Manukau Event in Town Square, Pukekohe
1730 > 1810 33km Town Square, Pukekohe Accommodation at Manukau Top 10 Holiday Park, 902 Great South Road, Manurewa, 09 266 8016

Early wakeup (but getting used to it, just hope I can change back to my old ways later...). Had a nice bed but ended up sleeping on the sofa. All well. Found a can of V in the side pack of the bike so all systems go!

We rode to Betlehem just north of Tauranga where we waited for all other riders to turn up for this leg. A pie and a drink and we were away at 7am.

We took some backroads past Waihi that I have not ridden before. Apperently we cut 10 minutes from the ride. A stop at the Paeroa bottle and we headed for Thames


In Thames we were part of the Anti Violence stand and did our normal thing by mingling and chatting. I found out that they have four organisations working with the issue. Is that good or bad? (Good: Heaps of support available. Bad: The need for four support groups.)

Next stop Bombay hill BP. This is where we meet up with the West Wind and also with any riders wanting to ride with us today. Suddenly we are approx 100 bikes. The West Wind will travel to West Auckland for the days activities and we, the East Wind, will do Manukau City. Heaps of cars on the motorway. I do not miss Auckland at all!!!

A cpuple of the riders ride off to get new tyres or punctures sorted and will catch up in Manukau City.

Mahus rear tyre (there is a screw...)

As it is now 25'th and the actual White Ribbon Day the events today are the focus and have a fraction higher empasis on them.

We park in the shopping centre and wait for what the plan is. Confusion is the plan it seems... One of the Patriots walk around tapping some riders on their shoulders. Then he pronounces: The ones who's shoulder I have touched will ride to the event and will park in a sertain way, then take celebrities for a ride. I was not to be part of them. A moment later: Who wants to ride there and take a celeb for a ride? I am asked if I want to. My answer (with tounge in cheek): Touch my shoulder otherwise I will not do it... ;-)

We ride to the other side of the complex and park up. The day is hot and we are given water, a packed lunch. We are treated to some nice singing and a MC with an american accent. The new Auckland Mayor talks to us and tries hard... and there is more half celebrities getting up. Then we take people for a ride round the Manukau City Centre. Of some reason I end up first with my pillion on behind. I come up to a police who directs me to the main road. I ride to the next red light with others following me, but figure that this is not right, so I turn back in to the parking where a police is red in face and waving and cursing. not my fault! I was just doing what I was told and following directions (crappy ones it seems...). Anyhow, no harm done and we ride once around then park up again.




From here we travel to Pukekohe where we are part of the White Ribbon message and stop and talk to passers by.


We give out all our last White Ribbons and I have a competition with a 20'sh chap who can do most. He grabs a whole class of highschool girls at once. Cheater! I miss the opportunity to chat to a patched up gang member, but his wife/girlfriend comes over and signs the banner! This is also the first time I come across males who do not want a ribbon and tell us to f... off. Interesting!

Some cracks are starting to show after this. Everyone is tired, there has been heaps to have under controll, all have done their best. But we are talking about grown up men who, even if they have a big heart and are passionate re the non-violence message, still are bikers (with all thet it brings). There is confusion re where to next. Someone says I know, follow me. Others say: No, this is how we do it. Me, I just follow whatever. I am in Auckland and know the place well. No way to get lost. The main part of the group end up at a run down caravan park in Manukau. Wrong place. So we turn down Great South Road and travel a little south and find the right place.

Some heated discussions, but after a while all is sorted and we are all OK. I pull away from everyone (have really had enuf of people around me by now!!) and ride to Maccas for dinner. Then back to my cabin and some work on the puter.

350 Km's and on the home straight!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment